This page currently corresponds to Tux Paint version 0.9.22.
Operating System Requirement
- Windows: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
- Mac OS X: Requires Mac OS X, version 10.3.9 or later
- Linux: (No special OS requirements)
Disk Space Requirement
Note: Disk space requirements are for the base installation. Obviously, as you create and save images using Tux Paint, more disk space will be used.
- Tux Paint
- Windows: Approx. 16MB
- Mac OS X: Approx. 16MB
- Linux: Approx. 16MB
- Tux Paint Stamps (Full installation)
- Windows: Add Approx. 70MB
- Mac OS X: Add Approx. 70MB
- Linux: Add Approx. 70MB
Minimum Recommended CPU
- Windows: 200MHz Pentium
- Mac OS X: 233MHz G3
- Linux: 200MHz Pentium, 233MHz G3, etc.
- Monitor: 640x480 or higher; 800x600 recommended
- Video Card: Capable of 640x480, 16bpp (thousands of colors) or better; 1024x768 or better, 24bpp recommended
- Mouse: One button mouse or better; scrollwheel supported, but not required; (any device that acts as a mouse is supported, e.g.: touchscreen, drawing tablet, tablet PC, trackball, lightpen, etc.)
Memory (RAM) Requirements
- At default resolution (800x600)
- Windows: Approx. 40MB free
- Mac OS X: Approx. 16MB free
- Linux: Approx. 33MB free
- At smallest resolution (640x480)
- Windows: Approx. 28MB free
- Mac OS X: Approx. 32MB free
- Linux: Approx. 24MB free
- At very-large resolution (1600x1200)
- Windows: Approx. 150MB free
- Mac OS X: Approx. 55MB free
- Linux: Approx. 140MB free
Tux Paint uses a number of Open Source libraries. Users of pre-packaged versions of Tux Paint (e.g., Windows or Mac OS X) receive the necessary libraries when they download and install Tux Paint. Linux users who download Tux Paint packages from this website, or who wish to compile Tux Paint from source-code, may need to find and download the necessary libraries. Linux users who download Tux Paint from their distribution (e.g., via "
apt-get" in Debian) should receive the necessary library packages when they go to install Tux Paint.
Note: If you wish to compile from source-code, be sure to also install the corresponding '-devel' versions of the libraries (e.g., "
- Simple DirectMedia Layer library (SDL) (version 1.2.4 or newer)
- SDL_image (for PNG support)
- SDL_ttf (for fonts)
- SDL_mixer (optional, for sound)
- SDL_pango (optional, for improved text rendering)
- Cairo (optional, for SVG support)
- libRSVG (optional, for SVG support)
- gettext (for multilingual support)
- libpaper (for POSIX printing)
- FriBiDi (optional, for bidirectional text input)